5.14.2009

Trying to make it!

It was an interesting trip to the airport!!


Flight #1 - Raleigh to New York
An accident on I-40 had me in the back of the CRV a little worried I must admit. It took over an hour to get to the airport, which normally takes no more than 20 mins. I had to ask dear old dad to "ride the median or something". I wanted to get to the airport about 3:30, as they recommend arriving 2 hours early for international flights, but I got there about 4:50. YIKES!! Flight was leaving at 5:55pm.



Please note: My smile was very large as I sat on this flight. Maybe it's because the plane doors were closed and I knew the chancellor, governor, nor budget office workers could take this trip away from me now.





Arriving in New York

Flight #2 - New York to London

As I was talking to my parents on the phone, I walked right by Jamie Foxx. He was just strolling with 4 of his assistants. He had a fresh haircut and wore a deep red leather jacket. Sorry no picture available, I couldn't hang up on my parents or get to my camera fast enough. I proceeded to the gate and hung out until our 9:15pm departure. I saw someone outside looking at the plane and then the airline attendant announces that on the last flight, the plane was struck by lightning. She said it's more common than one would think, but the maintanence crew was working on it and we would try to leave by 10pm. Well 10pm turned to 10:30pm which finally meant 11pm. The flight was to be 6 hours and 15 mins. We were to only be about 20 mins. late so no real problems with connecting flights. The plane wasn't full so I had a window seat with no one beside me. I tried to watch Bride Wars, but it ended up watching me. I got a blast out of playing Tetris on the monitor in front of me (shout out to all my Tetris fans). The dinner (chicken and pasta or beef and mashed potatoes) was very good.

If you look to the left of the number 14, you can see the guy working on the plane.


We arrived in London (which is 5 hours ahead of US) at 10:34am (London time). My flight to Prague was to leave at 11:05am. We arrived in Terminal 3 and I had to make it to Terminal 5. I jumped on the bus and read the sign that it would take about 10 mins. to get to Terminal 5. I DON'T HAVE 10 mins wanted to shout. But I remained calm because you know what...it wasn't my fault the flight was late. I did nothing wrong in this situation and everything would work out. Got off the bus at like 11:02am, ran a little bit, and then discovered you have to go through some kind of security thing AGAIN. I walked over to a worker and she did confirm for me that the plane was "finalized" and that I should go to the British Airways desk. The gentleman there informed me that the next flight was leaving at 2:55pm, but he could only put me on standby. He advised me to go BACK to Terminal 3 and have American Airline rebook me on the Czech Airline flight which was still selling tickets. So I went BACK to Terminal 3 and a really nice lady took my information over to British Airways and came back with a CONFIRMED SEAT on the 2:55pm British Airways flight. I thanked her and went BACK to Terminal 5.

The time now was a little after 12pm, I made a couple of phone calls and then just wondered around the airport. I was trying on some sunglasses when a man (who worked there) came up to me speaking another language. I just looked at him and half smiled and then he said whatever he was saying in English. You will NEVER believe what he said! He said, "you should try some lighter frames because those are too dark". I politely said OK, but wanted to say, "REALLY...keep it moving sir". After that I said to myself, let me get somewhere and sit down. And that's what I did!

Flight #3 - London to Prague

No problems here. I was asleep and don't even remember take off. I do remember having to use the bathroom and not wanting to, airplane bathrooms get a bad rep. However, when my neighbor got up, so did I. Airplane bathrooms aren't that bad. :

WHAT A RELIEF TO BE FREE OF FLYING!

4 comments:

  1. 1st 2 lv a comment! I don't know if i have no life or if i was so anxious to get some type of message from u saying that u made it ok. But whateva...UR N PRAGUE!!! It seems like somthn was tryn to delay u frm gettn to Prague (motorcycle accident, lightnin strikes, missn flights, bus rides) but u cud NOT b stopped! Bride Wars was kinda of whack, rite? I fell asleep on it 2! Can't wait 2 see Prague pics! And pics of ur hair after u wash and air dry it! Hope ur havn a blast! I'll be back 2 check on ya!
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. T,
    You made it because God is good! Yes! Happy Birthday, again! As you travel remember the MARYMARY song...the Jesus in you!
    International travel is about patience and waiting! You have no control but He does!
    Aunt Wandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you finally made it. Can't wait to see more pics. Love the picture of you! LOL
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    KLUU

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you are having a fabulous time! I am loving the pictures. I guess you really are working from the looks of the time you decide to eat:) Happy Belated Birthday! Do you have your camcorder?
    Janice

    ReplyDelete